The world of construction isn’t just about bricks and mortar; it’s about fostering talent, honing skills, and constructing futures. Construction mentorship stands as an important cornerstone of skills training and growth in our industry. From passing down trades wisdom to building a professional network, mentorship is the compass to the future.
- A mentor’s guidance ensures the preservation of invaluable time-honoured traditions and craftsmanship.
- A mentor helps navigate the complexities, challenges, and intricacies of the industry.
- In an industry that constantly evolves with technological advancements and changing regulations, learning is lifelong. Construction training is ongoing.
- Mentorship allows for personalized skills training development plans tailored to an individual’s strengths, weaknesses, and aspirations.
And that is exactly what the BCCA Building Builders Mentorship Program aims to achieve – a space where the next generation of construction workers and tradespeople are formed!
What is BCCA’s Building Builders?
Funded by the Government of Canada’s Canadian Apprenticeship Strategy, and run by the BC Construction Association, Building Builders is a first-of-its-kind mentorship program in British Columbia. It’s a 6- or 12-month unique program that pairs experienced professionals with young talent, supporting them in achieving their career goals.
BCCA’s Building Builders program aims to address a crucial gap in a culture that tends to prioritize academics over skilled trades as a viable career choice. Our goal is for the Mentorship program to empower first-year apprentices and newbies in the industry. By offering personalized and continuous career guidance from a mentor, Building Builders allows them to get a head start and continue on in the industry.
The Mentorship Program
“If you don’t have the right contacts, it can be hard to navigate a career in the construction industry.”
-Chris Atchison, BCCA President.
With Building Builders, getting that inside information and guidance is easy. Each mentee is paired with seasoned industry veterans who possess extensive knowledge and years of experience, ready to share their wisdom.
Whether you want to be a Mentor or find one, simply fill out the BCCA Building Builders screening application. You’ll be matched with a potential mentee or mentor based on your skillsets and experience.
As a Mentee, there are no experience restrictions. When it comes to Mentors, we look for 7 or more years’ experience or a combination of relevant education and training.
Once you’ve applied, our team takes action! We carefully review your needs and background to make sure that the Building Builders mentorship program is right for you.
Structure of the mentorship program
You’ve signed on as a BCCA Building Builders Mentor or Mentee? We’re happy to have you!
First step? We’ll set up an account for you on Chronus – software designed specifically for mentoring. Your dashboard will have everything you need to get you started on your mentorship journey – scheduling, journaling, messaging, backend support, adding and accessing resources, and of course your mentorship plan. Chronus is a convenient tool for your mentorship journey, but it’s not mandatory. This is your adventure and Chronus is your roadmap; customize it as you like.
The next step is getting matched! After a thorough vetting process, a Mentorship Advisor will pair you with your perfect Mentor/ Mentee match – someone whose skills and goals align with yours. After a quick orientation to familiarize yourself with the program and its benefits, your six- or twelve-month mentorship journey begins!
The Building Builders program includes a minimum of 6 mentor meetings – virtually or in-person – or a total of 6 hours. You will have a dedicated point of contact, a BCCA Building Builders Mentorship Advisor who will check-in after the first month just to make sure that things are running smoothly. The advisor is also there to provide support and address any questions that may arise during your mentorship.
- All participants receive a Certificate of Completion to enhance their resumes.
- Mentees are provided with free BCCSA SiteReadyBC Training to support their deep dive into the world of construction.
- Every Mentee is provided with a PPE kit as needed, ensuring compliance with construction industry safety standards from the outset.
- All participants get free access to Builders Code Workplace Culture Training.
- Mentees can request their travel expenses covered by Building Builders to meet their Mentor.
- Mentors: want to hire your Mentee and make the mentorship program a construction internship experience? Up to 4 weeks (160 hours) of their 50 – 70% wages will be covered by us! Mentees gain valuable industry experience and practical skills.
There are no set rules for the program. It’s your journey, and you have the reins. However, we do emphasize the following mentorship best practices: be respectful of one another, be responsible, show up on time, be mindful of your language and remain professional at all times.
Ready to get started?
Just fill out an application form; it’s as easy as that.
For Mentors: https://bit.ly/3rbeSlT
For Mentees: https://bit.ly/3HazaA5
Once we review your application, you’ll receive an email outlining next steps. And that’s all! Everything from there is smooth sailing.
What do our participants have to say about our Mentorship program?
“It’s rewarding to know you can make a difference and positively influence one’s life!”
–Cal Duncan, Mentor
“The structured mentorship program provides a platform for meaningful interactions, where I gain insights into industry best practices, problem-solving strategies, and professional development.”
–Angela Ahljah, Mentee
“In addition to my role as a mentor, my involvement with Building Builders has significantly enriched my personal growth. What initially began as a desire to support the growth and success of others unexpectedly led to my own personal development.”
– Mario Galdones, Mentor
“Joining the Building Builders Mentorship Program proved to be one of the best decisions I made this year.”
–Archana Balan Krishnan, Mentee
Read more testimonials.
Building Builders opens the door to a transformative mentorship experience in British Columbia, where industry veterans guide aspiring talent toward fulfilling careers.
Join us on this exciting journey of growth and collaboration! buildingbuilders.ca
Stay up to date on BCCA’s Building Builders. Follow us on our socials:
- Facebook – @BCCAmentorship
- Instagram – @BCCAMentorship
- Twitter – @BCCAmentorship
- LinkedIn – @BuildingBuilders